FanDuel Group is a world-class team of brands and products that deliver sports betting, gaming and entertainment to millions of US sports fans every day. That’s no easy task, and wouldn't be possible without a fantastic team who have helped us pioneer new products and innovative features that make us a leader in the industry. Whether you’re looking for better career progression, improved financial security or just a better sense of belonging, we believe we’ve created a culture in which everyone can succeed, no matter how you got here.
This Lead Software Engineer position is based within a small but growing team in our Account vertical, working on an absolutely critical backend service that affects every product! As our customer base continues to grow, our focus as an organisation, and within this team is how we can create scalable systems.
This is where you come in - helping to revamp the process; support with the move to a serverless database and lead on technical direction, design, architecture and solution.
As a Lead Software Engineer, you will work with the team to implement best practices and processes; be proactive about continuous improvement; and encourage and mentor developers to take action and feel empowered to make decisions that benefit the organisation.
Some of your responsibilities will include:
- Developing solid best practices and processes that enable the team to thrive and continuously improve
- Owning parts of the product and technology and becoming a subject matter expert, and influencing roadmaps to support the wider business (you have a holistic approach)
- Helping your team evolve by actively participating in the code review process, design discussions, team planning, and ticket/metric/other reviews
- Working to resolve the root cause of complex problems, leaving software better and easier to maintain than when you found it
- Mentoring and coaching others to further career growth and confidence, and serve as a role model for more junior team members
- Working in an Agile environment, and being able to advocate and educate around this approach
What We’re Looking For
We are looking for most of the following:
- Defining vision and scope with regards to the technical roadmap and long-term strategy
- Experience developing distributed, high scalable and available backend systems and APIs with Java
- Proficiency working with relational, non-relational databases, messaging queues and concurrency
- A focus on operational excellence, constructively identifying problems and proposing solutions
- Understanding and exposure to creating software with scalability in mind
- Experience working with AWS cloud-based infrastructure and technologies
What You Can Expect
- Interesting work - working in a fast-paced and ever-changing industry, new problems and exciting solutions are never too far away. There are always opportunities to learn new skills and broaden your horizons
- A sense of achievement - Our teams own their own software and when that awesome new feature ships to users and the positive feedback starts rolling in, you can feel really proud of what you and your team created
- Personal development - clear and defined career pathways for every role at every level, a supportive manager, loads of learning opportunities and even 10% of your time to dedicate to your learning.
- Belonging - everyone at FanDuel works for each other, we win together, make mistakes together and have lots of fun doing it.
- Trust - A trusting work environment where productivity is valued above all else, giving you autonomy and ownership of your time and work
- Great financial package - Including salary, bonus, pension, private healthcare, share save scheme, flexible working & holiday policy along with a number of other benefits.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
FanDuel is an equal opportunities employer. Diversity and inclusion in FanDuel means that we respect and value everyone as individuals. We don't tolerate bias, judgement or harassment. Our focus is on developing employees so that they reach their full potential.
The requirements listed in our job descriptions are guidelines, not hard and fast rules. You don’t have to satisfy every requirement or meet every qualification listed. If your skills are transferable and you are in the ballpark experience-wise, we'd love to speak to you!
Location: Our Scottish tech hub is based in central Edinburgh and is fitted with fabulous amenities including a gym, showers, bike parking, gaming pods, multiple breakout areas, meeting rooms, a roof terrace and much more.
We operate a hybrid model for the majority of our roles, where we normally spend a day or two in the office per week.